Friday, August 8, 2008

Home Sweet Home

A few weeks ago Brian and I finally decided to take some good advice and meet with a man in our old stake about our finances and the potential for owning our own home. The good old "American Dream" seemed to be a reoccurring one night after night - per say. A cute little house, on a cute little street, with a cute little yard...yada, yada, yada.

So we met with the guy. He chastised us for having "so much money in savings" and wondered why we weren't putting it toward "anything that was working FOR us?" All good things to think about, so he opened our eyes to the possibilities, and since then things have just really rolled forward.

We found a great little townhouse/condo deal that is actually located at the end of our street, for those of you that know where we live now. It is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath, that included ALL the appliances. Yeah for not needing to go buy a fridge, and washer and dryer, etc. It's "cute", it looks like we'll have pretty good neighbors (mostly older people), and it has a private fenced in back patio/deck that Maverick already loves to run around in. And, there is a SWIMMING POOL. Which unfortunately also means the HOA fee is a bit higher than we feel necessary.

But as of last night at 5:45 pm it is officially ours! YEAH!!! And don't be surprised if I go hog wild in the painting area. For the passed 4 years I have lived with LOTS of beige and white walls that I couldn't paint, but now it is mine and I can do whatever I want. Oh fun! We are excited to be home owners, and ecstatic about our 5.2% interest rate. What a blessing! So happy that we will still be able to live within our means, (we are basically paying what we were for rent - AWESOME!) and hopefully Brian will be getting his raise here in October and we will even be able to save more!!! The Lord has blessed us. Things have just fallen into place, and it feels good.

So, I made Bri hold this sign for the pictures last night. It says "home sweet home". We have had this sign since we got married and it has always been one of the first things to get a spot in each of our now 6 "homes", but somehow the idea of it really being ours feels sooo much more home-ish to me. Sorry for the silly sign Bri, but I was having a moment. Pregnant ladies can't be mocked...haha! And we couldn't get Mav to hold still long enough to snap a good photo of him, but he seems to feel right at home in the new place and already talks about his and the babies room, and wants to share it with all his friends. Yes, Dino has already received his personal tour of the place. And yes, his slide has already had plenty of "yee-haws" exclaimed while sliding down it in his new "backyard".
We think it will be a great place for us for now and are anxious to get all moved in. We moved about three closets over last night and hope to get lots more stuff moved tonight, but the big stuff will all go Saturday Morning - you are more than welcome to send some muscles our way since my prego belly won't allow for much muscle usage. Good thing Bri is so buff all on his own. But some extra team members wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, my sweet blog readers, sadly we are probably going into Internet blackness for a while. Maybe we will have it again before the baby. We'll see. But for now, I am not really sure if we will be able to make another post for quite some time. If that is the case, I will miss you all so much, and I hope you miss us too - even just a little. And as Brian would say, Sayonara!!!

14 comments:

The Steele family said...

congrats on your new home hat is so great

tysqui said...

Congratulations! That's an incredible interest rate. Another reason to be excited is the $7,500 tax credit you'll probably get!

Kari said...

Congrats! I hope some day to join you in the home owners club. Sorry you will have to be without internet for so long, I would struggle :(

"All you need is love" said...

That's awesome! We've painted so much in both homes we've been in...we change our mind a lot. It is so fun to own a home. Good luck in the next while getting settled. I'll miss your blog.

Carrera said...

Congratulations guys! that really is the most exciting thing when you own your very own house! its such a good feeling knowing you are making money instead of throwing it away!! I hope you have a blast painting and decorating, AJ and I will want to come see when it is done sometime! and we hope the pregnancy is going well too! what an exciting time for you guys with everything going on! Love AJ and Carrera

The Dahls said...

Wow! 5.2% is awesome...you'll have to tell me how you got that/what lender you went thru. Congrats though, thats so fun!!

Terri said...

Oh my gosh, hopefully you get this.....HOW EXCITING. Congrats everything sounds great especially how bad you want to paint. I love paint, it changes everything. Have fun and I cant wait to see pictures. Love you guys.

baxtersrus said...

I'm so excited for you two! Now Chad and I will have to come see your home... and you should come see ours too :) I love you and miss you!

JoDee said...

Hey guys - so exciting for you! What a fun "first"! Britt - I totally relate to wanting to paint those walls after 5 yrs. of white apartment walls - I think I might venture into that world at this new apt., though I have to paint back when we leave...blech. CONGRATS - and good for you guys!!

Shannon & Ryan said...

Ryan and I just read your post together--we are so excited for you guys! What a fun time of life. Hopefully you will be able to post soon about your fun new wall colors and all of your fab decorating skills. We hope that you guys are doing well!
Love,
Ryan and Shannon

Anonymous said...

Brian! I can't believe I found your blog while my wife was looking through her high school friends' blogs. We were in Communications class together at WSU if you don't remember. Congrats on the house - awesome! You can check out our blog at brianandchantel.blogspot.com

Shaun - Jillian said...

Congratulations on your new house. That is so exciting that things have fallen in to place for your family. You will have to post and show pictures on the house and also of the new baby.

sweetieabbott said...

Hey Brittney, I found your blog from a friend and thought I would see what you were up to. It has been forever so you probably don't even remember me from school. I just wanted to thank you. You were alway such a good example to me in junior high and high school and always so nice to everyone. Congrats on your new hom and the new addition to your family.
Bethany Abbott (Bastian)

Jessica said...

Holy Cow Brit! I love your prego belly! It's adorable. Remember the night I locked you out and you had to sleep on the "porch." I still feel bad about it... What a cute family you have! Congrats on the new house! How fun for you guys!