Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Back to Life. Back to Reality...

First of all, My disclaimer: When the "Twilight Series" first came out I was VERY against it. "Vampires?! Are you kidding me? LAME!" - I thought. So I decided then and there that I would NEVER read them. They became HUGE. Ridiculously huge. And everyone was talking about it, but really it was just more fuel to my fire. I was NOT going to read those books. And I enjoyed telling the "oh so obsessed ones" that I hadn't read them, and that I wasn't planning to read them. (take That)


When the movie came out, although I REALLY debated, we decided to rent it from the RedBox. I was glued. But I knew "there must be more". So when my sister Tara had just finished her copy of the 1st book, I swallowed my pride and decided I would read them.

So on April 20th I started book 1. Today is May 20th and I am done. Done with all 4 books. I AM SO LAME! I was SSSSSOOOOoo sucked in. I would try not to be, but I was. All I could think about was Edward and Bella, and the world like ours (but different) that they lived in. I started watching Maverick more closely to see if he had any mythical skills. I think I even decided he could foresee the future, after he walked outside one day into the beautiful sunshine and declared that it was "going to rain today" and I laughed and said "not today bud" then within hours it did rain. Okay, so if Maverick was a vampire his skill would be to see the future, definitely. And my sweet Slater baby already is a vampire - what with his SUPER paste-y white skin and incredible strength, and all... Wow, I was losing it. I just had to finish the darn books so I could move on with my real life.

Much thanks to Deanne and Dan who supplied books 2, 3, and 4. If it weren't for them I would still be waiting on the very large waiting list at the library for book 2. Or I would have gone out and purchased them or something silly like that, which brings me to my overall consensus...

I loved reading the Twilight Series. Yes, I was DEEPLY sucked in. It is a very interestingly different story, that gave my mind a break from reality. BUT, no teenager should be allowed to read them. And I am appalled to think of just how many hormonal young girls are obsessed with them, and have read them over and over. I found myself blushing about several things. and I am an old-er married woman. I also was slightly annoyed at all the spelling and grammatical errors thru-out. Which I am not a pro at, but this is just my blog, not a published piece of literature. And the errors seemed to get worse with each book. Weird. It was definitely an entertaining read, and I am anxious for the next movie, but... not sure... hum, I guess all I can say is that I am glad I read them. I am glad I am all done. I was all for Jacob for Bella until I read book 4, then I was glad for how things turned out. I wish they would have fought the Voltri at the end of book four. It was a HUGE climax for nothing. Although I loved the ending. The last page made it all worth it. I could have done without the intimacy, especially because of the age of her target audience. I won't read them again. But I loved them none-the-less.

The End.
Now I get to move on and be normal again.... Whatever "normal" is.

8 comments:

Bri and Britt said...

Welcome back my dear!
You needed some time for yourself. It was well deserved. I'm glad you took some time to do something for yourself. You are always doing so much for everybody other than yourself.

To all who are reading this... I was drawn into the drama as well. I made Britt give me an update every hundred pages or so. It gave us something to talk about during Britt's vacation..Ha Ha :)

Sure do love ya Britt!!!

Brian

baxtersrus said...

I haven't read them yet because I know that they would put that "reading spell" on me, too. Plus, I watched most of the movie and, though it was interesting, found myself thinking how sexual the whole thing was. We'll see, maybe I'll get sucked in one day, too! By the way, it was SO good to see you! I was sad we didn't say much of a goodbye, and also felt bad that I didn't catch up more on you and only talked about myself, I'm bad at that lately. But I love and miss you and am happy we can still be close, even when we only see each other once in a blue moon! Slater is sooo cute, by the way.

Anna said...

They sucked me in, too. Whenever I read books like that, I get annoyed with how much they take me in and I feel like I can't do anything else until I know what's going to happen. It becomes a part of my "to-do" list to get them all read. And then...I miss them and wish I hadn't rushed through so fast. Funny how I'm that way with candy, too. :0) And, as a side note, Spencer insisted that I slept closer to his neck than usual while I was reading them...silly Spencer. :0) Glad you enjoyed them!

Kristin said...

Welcome to the club! I felt much the same way as you did about the books. Now I'm reading her other book, "The Host." I'm finding I have the same love/hate relationship with it. . .but once again I'm sucked in. . .

Matt and Jade said...

I felt the same way, I still have not read them yet. However I do own the first two. I watched the movie and fell in love, I bought it the next day. I watched it about 10 times the first week I had it. I got totally sucked in.

Mike and Kim said...

They are VERY addicting!!! I try not to think to much about it, because of course it's totally a weird story! But what a talented author to imagine up a story like that, even if she did make lots of errors. I do think it should be targeted more to adults than teens.

just dandee said...

Welcome back Britt. So happy to have helped you have a fabulous "vacation". I was sooooo curious to see what you thought about them. I too feel the same way for the most part that you do. Teens should DEFINATELY NOT read these. Way too much info! I too was addicted in the moments of these BUT I was not too happy about the ending. They totally lead you to believe there would be this FABULOUS fight scene against the Volturi and then BAM it drops ya with a mild litte "discussion" where everyone leaves happy. Humph! Anyway, we will have to discuss this in more detail later. Good luck finding "normal" again.

Cody and Meg said...

Hey Brittany! I found you on Aubreys blog and thought I would let you know that I have been blog stalking you. Pretty weird to think that you are married with two kids! It looks and sounds like you and Brian are very happy together.

Also I couldn't agree with you more about Twilight. I was EXACTLY the same way. I didn't read them forever either. But yes now I too am in love with Edward. Hilarious!

Anyway it you want to stalk me feel free! :)

P.S. This is probably going to sound weird but I wish we would have stayed better friends through the years. We had so much fun in elementary, maybe we can stay in touch better through our blogs???