Friday, April 4, 2008

Facebook challenge...

I feel like such an Idiot, and I needed to express it, so I guess I am doing it here. Read on at your own risk...

So after some nudgings from a dear friend I decided that the FACEBOOK idea might not be so bad after all. I would love to see what people are up to. I like that about blogging so why wouldn't I like it about FACEBOOK - right?

So yesterday afternoon I got onto the FACEBOOK main page, and apparently you can't see anyones profile unless you have an account yourself. I think Tara told me that along time ago, but I had forgotten. So I decide, what-the-heck I will make an account for myself, nothing fancy, others won't even know I am here --- or so I thought.

So I type in my email address and password, then the next step tells me "these people in you address book have FACEBOOK accounts." Fun! I thought. Then the next step asks me what high school I went too. Dear Layton High. With that Info now submitted FACEBOOK formulated a whole list of people it thought I might know from high school... Cool! "I remember them and them and them. Click. This will be fun to see what ALL these people are up to."

Okay so I was finally through the steps. I was in!!! I thought that I would then get to view all these great peoples profiles that I had just selected as my "friends" and spend some time catching up on what they are up to. HOW FUN! -right?!?

No!!! I soon discover that an email has bee sent to ALL those people saying " Brittany Stratford has requested you to be her friend." then they get to accept or ignore that request... YIKES!!!! Suddenly all my childhood fears of being accepted by others came flooding over me. I think that I spent half the night tossing and turning in fear that such-and-such saw my request and laughed and won't accept my "friendship". How embarrassing!!! What am I to do? I wish I could just take back the whole thing, or I wish that I had had a better understanding of what I was doing. I even apparently sent invites to people like Brian's boss, and old mission companions... they are gonna think that I am stocking them or something weird. GREAT!

The whole situation is just awkward. I like this blogging thing a whole lot better. I don't have to see who has chosen to accept me or not. Thanks to those of you who check out our blog and comment and what not. It is a lot of fun to read what you have to say. Thanks for being my "friends". I can't believe how insecure this whole situation has made me feel. I am a grown woman, a wife, and a mother. As long as those two people accept me what more do I need right?!? I just feel foolish.

So there you have it. FACEBOOK is an odd thing. BEWARE! And if I did send you an email requesting you be my "friend" on FACEBOOK please accept it soon so I can get over this anxiety attack and get on with my life. Love to ALL.

HAPPY CONFERENCE WEEKEND!!!! I am REALLY excited about it!

12 comments:

just dandee said...

Oh Britt,
I Love you no matter what. I will accept your "friendship" anytime. What are doing for conference?

The Steele family said...

Britt,
I felt the same way when I got on to face book I think I really like the blogging thing a lot better. But you are my friend on face book so you can check off one person of that accept me request.

Our Family said...

Oh Britt;
Don't stress. You will be amazed at how many people will invite you to be their friend. People that you have briefly met! No one will think twice about it. If anything they will all feel flattered. And as for the inviting people that know Brian and not you so well...I have been asked to be many different people's friends based purely on the fact that I know their spouse, not them. So don't stress!

Generational stitcher said...

Don't stress, it's all good. Enjoy Conference. :)

The Wangsgard's said...

You'll always be my friend Britt... we love you! :) Are you getting together with your family for priesthood session?

Frayer Family said...

You are so funny!!! I would have layed in bed all night worry about it also. Isn't it funny how so many of us are so insecure, but you never would have ever guessed that a particular person was like that. Don't fret!! We love you!
Jaimee

Jenilyn Anderson said...

Oh Brittany! I am laughing so hard right now, because that is exactly what happened to me! But everyone's right, it really isn't a big deal. I have gotten requests from people I hardly knew and I didn't think they were wierd, but I definately accepted you as my friend! I know how you feel though, I definately like the blog thing way better.

Kari said...

I actually also just signed up for Facebook. I too feel completely lost and am still struggling to understand everything. But there have been several people that I'm really glad I ran into on there (like Tracie Bramhall.) I'll have to look for you. So make sure you add me :)

Mariel said...

That's funny! Thanks for the warning. I'm sure that nogody will have a problem "accepting your friendship". And, they probably already know that it is a standard thing that Facebook does...

"All you need is love" said...

So hilarious, only because when I read it, I thought "That is ME!" I had a facebook account for only two days because I did the same thing and I swear I was thinking almost verbatim what you wrote. I couldn't stand it and got rid of my account. I even felt a little insecure about blogging and so when I decided my life was a tad too chaotic at the moment it gave me a good excuse to get rid of that too. I miss it a bit, but I love to look that others. Love yours!

Shaun - Jillian said...

Brittany -
This is Jill (Couch). I always look at your blog and realized that I never said hello! I have been getting the FACEBOOK request too...but I am not sure about the whole thing and now especially since I read your blog! I definitely think I like the blog thing better. We missed you at our girls' night out.

Jenni said...

Oh good! I am so glad to hear I am not the only one that felt that way about opening a facebook account.... I just started mine last week, and haven't done much with it yet for a lot of the same reasons you stated!!!!I'll be your friend though!!!