I have been thinking a lot the last few days about age, and our time here on this earth. It all began on Saturday when Jake (my little brother) and I drove to Logan to go to the temple there. since neither of us have ever been to that temple before. Yes, just being at the temple inspires deep thoughts on life, but it actually didn't get started until we were headed home and we were talking about our parents and all that they have accomplished in their lives. Jake made the point that yes, they had done so much and essentially seem so old. (I mean they are grandparents, all their kids will be gone from home as of next week, they are getting grey, and just aren't as spry as they once were.) But, he said, "they will probably still live as many more years as I have already been alive, and just look at all I have already done in this time." Very interesting...
Then, yesterday Brian and I went skiing at Powder Mountain with Jake and his friend (and ours) Haley. It was a gorgeous day and there was fresh powder everywhere! What more could you ask for right? So our first run down Brian and I went with out poles, because they were accidentally left in our car and not transferred to the car we took up the mountain. I thought I would be fine, seeing how I am a Stratford now and skiing has to be something I do well, and I felt like my abilities have improved immensely over the past few years. So we set out down the hill.
Well, for me it was back to the basics with all that powder (and no poles) so I ended up snowplowing my way down the hill back to the lodge where I insisted I MUST rent poles. The poles were rented and with new confidence I headed out. Now, you must realize that nothing had been smoothed over by the snow cat things, so there were no groomed trails. But with my "excellent ski skills" I thought I would be fine. We headed down a blue trail that I normally love and that is never much of a problem for me. To make this long story shorter I faceplanted, I rolled, I slid, and I majorly wiped out 5 times on that 1 run. UUUGGGGG! and to make matters worse it was right under the lift. So everyone got to see. How frustrating!!! I could not ski in that beautiful soft powder. "I stink at skiing" I thought. And man oh man falling like that hasn't happened for a several years for me, so I was hurting. Luckily nothing was seriously hurt (except my pride) But, I am getting old!!!
So, back to the age and life thoughts. It is mindboggeling how much I have really accomplished, all that I have done, seen, learned, and all that is stored as memories up in my little brain. And yet I have so much more life ahead of me. Yes, I am a mom, but someday I will be the mother of more kids and those kids will grow-up. They will become teenagers. They will move out, get married, have kids of their own. I will be a grandmother, even a great-grandmother. I will see and experience things that I cannot yet imagine with technology, and travel, and disease. This crazy world is only bound to get crazier, but I am excited to be a part of it.
I don't have to do and see everything that I want to right now, because I will get to. I don't have to be perfect right now. It is okay to just be working on becoming perfect each and every day. Last week I heard a talk from Elder Neilson from the 1980's titled "The Magnificence of Man." It was an amazing talk. All of you should read it. http://www.lds.org/ (search "The Magnificence of Man") We have all been blessed to be alive. So as long as I stay alive, I have a lot of time left to experience everything that I want to. I can conquer skiing in powder. (I never fell again after that run and I even skied that run again later and did much MUCH better) I will get to run the marathon I was training for when I met Brian and never ran. I will get to travel the world, I will have more kids someday, and I will be a healthy active grandparent someday, etc... And it is even more awesome to know that this life is not the end of living and I will get to accomplish much more.
So, take day by day, minute by minute, and just be happy to be alive, and doing what you are doing in your life right now. Don't throw this time away looking for the brighter better future. It will come and it is important to prepare for it but don't waste now. Yes, we get older everyday, so we need to take care of our bodies. I have never been a healthy eater or a dieter. (yuck! I hate diet food.) but maybe I should start. I will be 25 this year. And I know that isn't way old, but looking at my parents who are just double my age, there are already some things that they can not do the way they used to, so I need to treat my body good so it will last through all that I have ahead.
I will get off my soap box now. If you are still reading congratulations, and thanks for hearing me out. Mom and dad I love you. I hope this doesn't make you feel old. You guys are great and amazing and still going strong. You have a lot of life left and I can't imagine life with out you, so don't go anywhere.
I love my life. All it has been and all it will be.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Random Thoughts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment