Thursday, February 7, 2008

Our Love Story

(Brian's add-in comments are in red)
Love is in the air... Here we are one week before Valentine's Day. So much can happen in ones life in just one week, or 11 days. (Ah Yeah!) For those of you that don't know, and for those of you that do, here is a re-cap of our "love story".

On Monday, May 10, 2004 I randomly got a phone call from Brian Stratford a guy in my home stake. We went to the same high school, but he was 2 years older than me, so I knew who he was... a good lookin' senior who would never notice little old me no matter how hard I tried to catch his attention. He had no idea who I was. (Yeah right, how could I not know who she was!?)

After his mission a friend of his who worked with me tried to set us up, but I had other plans at the time, (Lets just say it...she had a missionary) so it couldn't have worked then. So a year later on May 10th I get that phone call and he asks me out for that Saturday. I still had other things going on in my head and heart at the time, but I figured one date with the adorable Brian Stratford couldn't be that big of a deal... (little did she know what was on my mind! I had it all mapped out)

Day 1: Saturday, May 15. Our 1st date! We went to Barnes Park and played volleyball (not my best sport) (but she played anyway and looked cute doin' it) and had a BBQ with a bunch of his friends and their dates. I ate a hamburger AND a hot dog, which apparently impressed Brian. I wasn't one of those girls who wouldn't eat anything on a date. He was also fascinated that I could throw a football further and with a better spiral on it than most guys he knew. (she had a good lookin' arm!) And for me, who couldn't be attracted to that smile and humble personality? The above picture was taken on our first date by Bryce Jensen. We are looking way too chummy for a first date. Needless to say the date went well. (On the way to my house I told her she was "Cool" that pretty much summed it up... What a dork!) We broke off from the rest of the group at about 10:00 so that we could go talk in his backyard by their waterfall and get to know each other better. (this is where my plans came into play) When it got way passed my curfew (1:00am to be exact) the talking came to an end and he drove me home. He asked if we could do it again.... of course I said yes. (I should have just asked her to marry me)

Day 2: Sunday, May 16. I got a phone call from Brian at about 4:00. We talked for 2 hours.

Day 3: Monday, May 17. Nothing... (Except what my heart was telling my mind)

Day 4: Tuesday, May 18. He called me at work to see if I could go to a Layton High soccer game. (was I really that lame? a high school event... come on!) I said I couldn't get off work. But I did end up getting off early so I could go see him, but he had told his work he would stay because he didn't think I was going to the game. Later, after institute he asked if I wanted to go play volleyball. I had other things I needed to work out, so unfortunately I didn't go. (work out... I later found out it was guy drama, but she told me that it was 'cause her sister was in town. HHhmmm?)

Day 5: Wednesday, May 19. Nothing... ( I was trying to work through the "sister " comment)

Day 6: Thursday, May 20. (I obviously got passed the "sister" excuse) He met me at Ed Kenley Amphitheater for the "Rhapsody in Blue" concert that my little brother was in. My family got to meet him there, and of course they thought he was great. He came to institute with me after. then he played volleyball for a while, (while Britt talked about "marriage thoughts" with Trina) then we went on a 4 mile walk and just talked. I was introduced to his parents that night too. He asked if he could tell people that we were dating. I said yes! (she had told me she was leaving to be an EFY counselor, and be in the Hill Cumorah Pageant all summer, then was going to USU in the fall.... I had to act fast. Rope her in if you know what I mean.)

Day 7: Friday, May 21. I had determined that I wouldn't see him this day for personal reasons, but when he asked me to go Mini-golfing with him how could I resist... I was definitly twitterpated. I won the game. I am still not sure if he just let me do that or what. (she won fair and square) Either way, we had a lot of fun. After golfing we all went to the Mason's house and watched the movie "Miracle". About half way through Bri got up his courage and finally held my hand. SWEET! (pretty romantic eh? My plan was working nicely)

Day 8: Saturday, May 22. He had told me he had a busy schedule this day, so I figured I wouldn't get to see him, but by about noon I got a call from him. He missed me. He came and picked me up and we made a "Happy Birthday" sign for a friend of his. (Jeff Peterson) Then we went to the party together. Once again at Barnes Park. (ya gotta love that place.) And once again I embarrassed myself playing volleyball. (but she still looked hot.) Later there was a fight between Layton and Davis kids. Brian was my big buff hero and got me to a safe place quickly. Aahh. When he drove me home it was raining. He asked if we could dance in it. I said yes. Then he asked if he could kiss me. After singing some really romantic rendition of "poop drops keep falling on my head" or something. (it's a classic!) It must have wooed me 'cause I said yes to that request too. He was the 1st boy who had asked... What a relief! (and what a kiss!!)

Day 9: Sunday, May 23. We talked on the phone, then he invited me to help him teach a family home evening lesson for his whole family. No pressure! It went great though. I scored points there with the family. (and with me... she is so impressive!) Later when we talked he made it clear that he wasn't a big kisser so I should feel lucky that he kissed me. I did. (and she should.)

Day 10: Monday, May 24. I was invited to his house once again to celebrate his dads birthday. We had a delicious meal in the backyard, then laughed and told stories with the family around the fire pit. Then we layed on our backs and stared at all the stars and talked about eternity.... definitely getting serious here... (she wanted me)

Day 11: Tuesday, May 25. (I went to the temple in the morning, and felt like things were right for us. It wasn't a matter of if I should marry her, but when?) After work he came to my house and ate a steak dinner with my family, then we rushed to institute. The lesson was great, but we were a little more into eachother than the lesson. We later went to his house and popped in "Top Gun" a favorite for both of us. (where do you think we got the name Maverick?...) But in reality we didn't watch any of it. Not because we were making-out, but because we got talking about our future. To make an already long story short. We ended the conversation around 3:00 am with the understanding that we were going to get married. WOW! That was somethin'. Before we left eachother we figured we'd better say "I love you" for the 1st time. SILLY!

11 weeks later (6 of those being spent apart) we got sealed to eachother in the SLC Temple.

I have often pondered since about making an LDS movie about our love story. Nobody ever seems to believe us, and if they do they always ask us if we're crazy. The answer to that is no.(Yes!) We are just a couple of people really in love!

Happy Valentine's Day to all you love birds out there!!! And to those of you without a love bird... get one. It's awesome! (this excludes Haley :> Your love bird is just detained for the moment(s) )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have never heard the FULL story in detail... I loved it. You guys are great together (like I need to tell you that), but your kindness and love toward each other shows. Thank you for the Valentine story; very sweet. You're right, though, you guys are CRAZY! 11 days? That was faster than us--and we thought WE were crazy. Well, I guess crazies mesh well, so cheers to the crazy people in this world who listen to their hearts and their minds :)
Love,
Shannon and Ryan

Blaine said...

That story is great. Of course I was privileged to hear it during the Hill Cumorah Pageant days! We're glad you two ended up together. When we both hear you were getting married we both said "of course! They are perfect for each other!" (If only I could blog about our story! HA! That would take WAY too long.)

David and Amy said...

Wow! What a wonderful courtship story. You are a fantastic couple and I'm so glad that you both were able to realize so quickly that you had found your eternal best friend!

Anonymous said...

How cute! It was fun to hear all of the details

"All you need is love" said...

Britney,
I am very glad to hear it was so quick because I remember seeing you two together at Blaine and Lindsay's wedding and you were together (I don't know if you were already married) and I remember thinking "when did this happen?" However, you two together made such sense~Funny you never even had a date in high school. It was pretty instant with my Husband and I, so I love it! P.S. Brian's inserted comments make it so funny.
Jana

Our Family said...

This was great! Although, it's a little sad that you can blog your entire dating courtship day by day :) Adam and I are still trying to write ours down and we're at like 50 pages and we're only to our first date! PS- I sure loved seeing you the other day. We need to do that more often.

Taylor Family said...

Wow what a whirlwind romance. I guess when you know it is right there is no reason to wait. I love seeing your picture of your family at the temple. That is great to have your whole family in the temple together. My sister is working on getting there to have her little boy sealed. It will be fun to have everone in the temple together. While reading your love story it made me think of mine. I meet Clint at EFY and Melanie and Brian were in his group.

The Wangsgard's said...

Oh how romantic... Good thing you live in Utah or you two would be razed like crazy! :) I'm so glad that you guys are together! You fell in love with each other and announced you were getting married before I even knew you liked Brian. Shows how much I knew, right! You two are the best! Love ya Both!